Ghosts of Georgia Investigation report
On April 22, 2017, GOGPI investigated claims of paranormal activity at Gaither’s Plantation in Covington, GA. There is a cemetery and several small buildings on the property that were investigated as well. The activity reported is as follows: disembodied voices, objects moving, shadow figures, apparitions, unexplained noises, etc.
Investigators & people present at investigation: Investigators – Ed Laughlin, Larry & Melinda Conley, Chris & Christie Bradley, Melissa Foster, Beth Peters & Brian Daffern.
Moonrise, moonset and phase calendar:
|Meridian Passing Time
|Almanac for Covington, GA
April 22, 2017
|Daily Data||Observed||—-||Normal||Record Highest||Record Lowest|
|Max Temperature||M||75||92 in 1927||56 in 1901|
|Min Temperature||M||50||65 in 1967||31 in 1978|
|Avg Temperature||M||62.8||76.0 in 2002||47.5 in 1901|
|Precipitation||M||0.11||1.44 in 1907||0.00 in 2010|
|Snowfall||M||0.0||0.0 in 2013||0.0 in 2013|
|Snow Depth||M||–||0 in 2013||0 in 2013|
|HDD (base 65)||M||4||17 in 1901||0 in 2012|
|CDD (base 65)||M||2||11 in 2002||0 in 2013|
Equipment used by Investigators:
Cameras: Two Canon Rebel digital cameras, Samsung digital camera, Fuji S602 digital camera, Tasco infrared trail camera, iPhone 5S Camera/Video, numerous IR Video Cameras connected to a J2000 DVR. Nikon Coolpix L28 Full Spectrum digital camera, Bell & Howell IR Camcorder, JVC Everio Camcorder, T700 Full spectrum Camcorder, DDV-2200 full spectrum video camcorder, Insignia full spectrum HD camera/video recorder, MagiCam Mini Camcorder, FLIR Bcam w/SD, set of full spectrum POV glasses.
DVR: Black HD-SDI H.264
EMF Meters: Electro Sensor EMF Meter, Cell Sensor, Digital EMF Detectors, Mel-8704R-KII, Mel-8704-R, several K-II Meters.
Audio Recorders: Sony P210 digital voice recorder, 2- Sony digital recorders, Olympus D-10 digital voice recorder, RCA digital recorder Olympus VN-4100PC. Spion Parabolic Dish.
Thermometers: Cen-Tech mini non-contact infrared digital thermometer and an Omega HH68K ambient thermometer. Mel-8704R-KII has ambient thermometer included.
Other: 2-P-SB7 frequency sweep radio( spirit box ), P-SB11 spirit box, Spirit voice receiver, Boo Buddy Bear, Laser Grid, Compaq Presario Laptop, Dell Laptop, Ovilus M, Altec speaker, 2- Rem Pods, various flashlights.
Condition of the Plantation & Grounds:
The main part of the house was built in 1850 and has been added onto over the years. The house has been well maintained and the structure is sound. You can hear outside noises and voices through the windows, also drafts can be felt coming form the windows and doors. The utilities are in good working order.
Start DVR 8:33 pm, Start Investigation 9:00 pm, End Investigation 12:46 am, Stopped DVR 12:48 am
Base Readings(main house) – 8:10 pm
Foyer 68.2 Temp 0.0 EMF
Dining Rm 69.0 Temp 0.0 EMF
Music Rm 71.0 Temp 0.0 EMF
Parlor 69.3 Temp 0.0 EMF
Upper Foyer 75.2 Temp 0.0 EMF
Upper Bath 73.8 Temp 0.0 EMF
Dress Rm 73.5 Temp 0.0 EMF
Bedroom 2 74.3 Temp 0.0 EMF
Basement 67.1 Temp 0.0 EMF (a/c 5.9, water heater 1.1, 0.3 under stairs)
After Base Readings and Equipment Set Up – Investigation Began
Investigation Began – 9:00 pm
Investigation – Team 1 – Brian, Chris & Christie
- 9:15 pm – Outside Cemetery
- 9:20 pm – Start EVP – 9:37 pm End EVP
- 9:40 pm – Back Inside Plantation
- 9:46 pm – Dress Room
- 9:52 pm – Start EVP w/Flashlight – 10:07 pm Added Spirit Box – 10:18 pm End EVP
Investigation – Team 2 – Larry, Melinda & Melissa
- 9:00 pm – Outside Investigation – Cabins, Church, General Store
- 10:17 pm – Back Inside Plantation
Team 3 at Base – Ed & Beth
Team 5 at Base – Melissa & Beth
Investigation – Team 4 – Ed, Larry & Melinda
- 10:36 pm – Basement
- 10:48 pm – Start EVP w/Spirit Box – 10:59 pm End EVP
- 11:01 pm – Music Room
- 11:09 pm – Start EVP w/Spirit Box & Flashlight – 11:17 pm End EVP
- 11:18 pm – Dress Room
- 11:26 pm – Start Conversation EVP w/Flashlight – 11:37 pm End EVP
- 11:38 pm – Bedroom 2 – 11:48 pm End Sweep
Investigation – Team 1 – Brian, Chris & Christie
- 10:38 pm – Outside Investigation – Church, Cabin & Store
- 10:51 pm – Start EVP in the Church w/Flashlight & EDI – 11:22 pm End EVP
- 11:37 pm – Cabin
- 11:42 pm – Start EVP in the Cabin w/Spirit Box & Flashlight – 12:09 am End EVP
Investigation – Team 5 – Melissa, Larry & Beth
- 12:05 am – Basement
- 12:11 am – Start Silent Vigil (EVP) w/Flashlight & EDI – 12:17 am End EVP
- 12:19 am – Dress Room
- 12:25 am – Start EVP w/Flashlight & EDI – 12:46 am End EVP
End Investigation: 12:46 am
GOGPI went to investigate the above claims of activity.
There are numerous structures on the property including the main house, 2 cabins, a church, and an old store along with a cemetery on the property, all of which we investigated. We broke into three teams. One team stayed at base while the other two would investigate the buildings and cemetery separately, we had the base set up in the back of the house in the newer addition.
Each team would monitor temperatures and EMF and took digital pictures in each location along with conducting EVP sessions at each location using various pieces of equipment to communicate with. We also set up stationary cameras in the main house where reports of activity occurred. We also set up a thermal camera in the church.
We did not record anything in our pictures or videos but did record numerous EVP’s from the different locations. All investigators had some type of personal experience, see below.
Based on out personal experiences, the EVP’s we captured, the many reports of activity by many different people over the years we feel that Gaither’s Plantation is haunted.
Ghosts of Georgia Paranormal Investigations
Personal Experience summaries from investigators on the investigation
While at base with Beth while watching the monitor I saw a light go across the wall in the, not sure what the room is called, but the room next to the room base was at. Also with Beth I heard an occasional click noise, possibly the K-2 meter on the Mel meter that was sitting by the hallway door. It looked like a car light going across the wall but no cars were in the area and none of the investigators had lights on. While at base with Melinda I too heard what sounded like something being dragged across the ceiling.
While at base with Ed, I heard lots of little noises and at one point in time I heard very faint conversation in the music room. My Mel-Meter was sitting next to the double doors going into the main house on the floor while I was at base. The K2 on the top would click every now and then showing a little bit of EMF, but not enough to light the K2. Ed and I also saw white light go across the wall in the music room from the monitor. It looked a little like car lights would look if it was shining through a window but there are no streets or traffic around the home. When Melissa and I were at base, I heard the same faint conversational sounds coming from the music room. While investigating the basement with my team, I saw another faint white light move from the stairs across the room reflecting on the insulated wrapped pipe on the ceiling. There are no windows in the basement.
I didn’t have many personal experiences on this trip either. While Larry, Melinda and I were in the church, I heard a knocking sound behind us while doing an EVP session. While at base with Beth, I heard thumps coming from the music room which was next to base.
Heard growls in the grave yard
Heard steps upstairs in house while setting up
Heard someone sitting in the pews in the Church
Saw breathing in the green dots.
During the walkthrough while in the dress room I felt electricity through my body and had cold chills.
While investigating in the church I heard a sound as if someone had sat down on one of the back pews.
While investigating in the cabin I heard knocks coming from upstairs.
While standing in the door way of the dress room I heard what sounded like footsteps behind me in the hallway. I also heard several knocks in that room.
In the dress during the walk through I felt like electricity was running through me, it quit when I left the room, While investigating in the Church I kept seeing a faint white light at the front window. No vehicles were in the area. While investigating in the basement heard what sounded like something moved across the floor After checking several things it sounded like a cap block sliding. In the music room ( do not laugh Brian) I seen a faint white orb near the hallway door
While in the dress room I got a headache, and it went away when I left the room. While in the church I seen a faint white light move across the cross moving right to left. It looked like a car light , but no cars passed. While investigated in the basement heard what sounded like a brick sliding across the floor. While at base with Ed I heard a tap in the dining room area. Heard what sounded like something being dragged across the upstairs outdoor patio.
RESEARCH ON PROPERTY
Gaither Plantation, Covington, GA 30014
|DETAILS & HISTORY|
|● The main part of the house was built in 1850 and lived in until 1950.
● This 256-acre site is one of the few remaining examples of mid-19th to late-20th century farms and cotton plantations in Northeast Georgia.
● On the farm are the Gaither Plantation House (c.1855), a log smokehouse c.1830), a pole hay barn c. 1950), agricultural fields, and a number of other historic buildings
● Two 19th century cemeteries, the Gaither Family Cemetery and the Gaither Slave Cemetery, are located here.
● This plantation and areas has seen murder, slave labor, and Confederate soldiers who had to hide to save their lives.
● Activity includes: People seeing Civil War soldiers. There is also a female spirit in residence at the antebellum home, the ghost of Cecilia, the daughter of a former owner. Her bedroom is said to be a hot spot for strange happenings,
● disembodied footsteps, and apparitions.
● The Gaither’s had over 130 slaves
● Cotton was the main thing they harvested.
● Four hot spots: The Home, the Church, the Log Cabin, and the land around the cemeteries.
● Harris Spring Church, organized in 1822 has recorded 3 people died there. It was moved to the plantation from its original location in Walton County. The church is said to be haunted after a murder-suicide occurred when the pastor caught his wife with another man; killed them and then himself. Another version is that the pastor’s wife caught the pastor with another woman. She shot them both and then stepped out the backdoor of the church and shot herself. While these stories cannot be substantiated several odd things have happened in the church and there is one documented suicide on the original church property.
● The property extended several thousand acres but now consists of only a few hundred, including the original home, several outbuildings and a relocated historic church built in 1822.
● Cecilia and W. H. had several children. W.H. died in 1890 after the house was deeded to Cecilia. Their daughter Clara died at the age of 9. Her and her father are both buried in a family cemetery on the grounds.
● During the Civil War, it’s rumored that Cecilia hid Confederate soldiers at the plantation up a secret stairway so the Yankees wouldn’t burn her house.
● Cecila lost the property because of $30 in back taxes in 1929.
● In 1888 Gaither’s son Henry killed a neighboring farmer with a blow to the head from a stick after an altercation over a fire that destroyed several of the neighbor’s turkey nests. He fled when a warrant was issued for his arrest, never to return
● Covington is nicknamed Hollywood South because of how often Covington has been featured in TV shows and movies since the 1970s
● 1 mile from plantation, two people were killed in a fiery collision on Henderson Mill Road, September 2012.
● Same spot, January 2016, The drivers Explorer crossed the roadway, left the road and hit several trees and he died.
● I found reference to a secret stairway to the attic. Not sure if it is there or not.
● The rocking chair in the corner of Cecilia’s room, the upstairs front bedroom, is on loan to the Gaither Plantation from a family in Mansfield. The chair has a long history of rocking babies, some rumored to have been rocked by their mothers as they were dying. It is not original to the plantation.
Saturday 04/22 88 | 64 °F
Saturday Afternoon 10 %
Except for a few afternoon clouds, mainly sunny. High 88F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.
Saturday Night 80 %
Thunderstorms developing after midnight. Low 64F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
Article about a death in an old bar near the plantation. I can’t find any details if it is still around, but one report said it was knocked down by age. Details are sketchy, but thought you would enjoy it.
Week of December 28, 1882
Last Saturday evening about 3 o’clock. Will Smith of Jasper County, and James Banks, of Newton County, met in a bar-room at Covington, Ga. A quarrel arose about cards, and a scuffle ensued. Smith was pressing it, while Banks was declining. Smith, with a large navy pistol, a six shooter, shot Banks through the body. He staggered into the next door and expired. The murderer ran. He was pursued by white and colored men, and when overtaken, Alexander Hendricks, colored, with a rock in his hand, ordered him to stop. He was turned upon by the murderer and shot through the body. He fell. Then another pursuer fired at Smith, putting a ball through his hat. Sheriff Anderson with a posse, came up with the murderer about a mile distant south of the town, and he was seen to hide himself behind a pile of brush. Anderson was told of his position. Riding up, he demanded Smith’s surrender. At the peril of his life, he was taken by the sheriff. When the officer, with Smith, arrived in the town, the scene was indescribable. A yell was raised and the crowd ran to meet them, crying out, “Kill him;” let us hang him.” There was a large crowd in town and it was with difficulty that Smith could pass through the streets. Excitement is still high. A strong guard is on duty, and the law will be executed.